History of the school
This fashion school was founded in 1927 by the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture, as a reflection of the interest the designers and fashion houses have on turning today’s talents into highly skilled professionals that will guide and define tomorrow’s fashion. The history of the school is tied with the evolution of the fashion industry as you will see.
© photo credit : Kristen Pelou
Through the years, the school has experienced several changes that have forged its reputation and given it the place it has today in the fashion world.
Thanks to the « Astier » law passed by the French government, professional training courses became mandatory and free of charge. This allowed interns and workers from companies to improve through professional courses.
The Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne subsidized several fashion schools in order to obtain a place to train the workers from the different fashion houses. Those schools were commonly known as Les Ecoles de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne.
The Ecole de la Chambre syndicale de la Couture Parisienne was officially founded.
The Ecole de la Chambre syndicale de la Couture Parisienne established its premises in rue de la Sourdière in Paris in the 1st arrondissement.
For the scholar year 1929-1930 there were around 800 students.
The school creates a « Ecole Supérieure de la Haute Couture » in order to train the higher profiles such as directors.
The school establishes its historical address at 45 rue Saint –Roch. At this point private courses were created for people wanting to acquire knowledge in artisanal tailoring.
The course fashion design and technique was created, initially for a length of one year, and then complemented by a second year. The same year, an official decree created what was called « training centers», which led to an increase of 990 students by 1945.
An important part of a school comes from International relations with other schools. The first relations with foreign schools were developed. During the years several agreements took place with schools in Greece, Japan, Pakistan, China, and United States.
The school began giving executive education. The fashion houses started having their personnel trained at the school from this time onwards.
The 3rd year was created as a complement for the fashion design and technique course.
The « Pattern making » sandwich course was created.
Click on the pictures to see the full gallery
The association « Cercle Saint Roch » was established. This association is formed by the HRD from the member companies of the Fédération Française de la Couture, its main purpose being to ensure global synergy between the courses given and the companies’ needs for their personnel.
The course Fashion design/ pattern making advanced course was created. This one year course is intended to improve the level of external students.
The school was set up at a new address: 119 rue Réaumur, where it is to this day. As a decision of the « Cercle Saint-Roch » a 4th year was created to complement the fashion design and technique course. Subsequent to a request by several companies, the sandwich course « COUTURE – ALTERATIONS » was created.
Subsequent to a request by several companies, the sandwich course « SELLING LUXURY PRODUCTS » was created.
The school announced a strategic alliance with the IFM