The school was founded in 1927 by the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture, as a reflection of the interest the designers and fashion houses have on turning today’s talents into highly skilled professionals that will guide and define tomorrow’s fashion.
© photo credit : Kristen Pelou
Through the years, the school has experienced several changes that have forged its reputation and given it the place it has today in the fashion world.
1919 Thanks to the « Astier » law passed by the French government, professional training courses became mandatory and free of charge. This allowed interns and workers from companies to improve through professional courses.
1924 The Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne subsidized several schools in order to obtain a place to train the workers from the different fashion houses. Those schools were commonly known as the Ecoles de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne.
1927 The Ecole de la Chambre syndicale de la Couture Parisienne was officially founded.
1929 The Ecole de la Chambre syndicale de la Couture Parisienne established its premises in rue de la Sourdière in Paris in the 1st arrondissement.
For the scholar year 1929-1930 there were around 800 students.
1930 The school creates a « Ecole Supérieure de la Haute Couture » in order to train the higher profiles such as directors.
1937 The school establishes its historical address at 45 rue Saint –Roch. At this point private courses were created for people wanting to acquire knowledge in artisanal tailoring.
1944 The course fashion design and technique was created, initially for a length of one year, and then complemented by a second year. The same year, an official decree created what was called « training centers», which led to an increase of 990 students by 1945.
1960 An important part of a school comes from International relations with other schools. The first relations with foreign schools were developed. During the years several agreements took place with schools in Greece, Japan, Pakistan, China, and United States.
1980 The school began giving executive education. The fashion houses started having their personnel trained at the school from this time onwards.
1993 The 3rd year was created as a complement for the fashion design and technique course.
2000 The « Pattern making » sandwich course was created.
Click on the pictures to see the full gallery
2002 The association « Cercle Saint Roch » was established. This association is formed by the HRD from the member companies of the Fédération Française de la Couture, its main purpose being to ensure global synergy between the courses given and the companies’ needs for their personnel.
2006 The course Fashion design/ pattern making advanced course was created. This one year course is intended to improve the level of external students.
2010 The school was set up at a new address: 119 rue Réaumur, where it is to this day. As a decision of the « Cercle Saint-Roch » a 4th year was created to complement the fashion design and technique course. Subsequent to a request by several companies, the sandwich course « COUTURE – ALTERATIONS » was created.
2012 Subsequent to a request by several companies, the sandwich course « SELLING LUXURY PRODUCTS » was created.